The Youtube blog announced today the start of a new kind of channel: The Reporter Channel.
Touting the media revolution, the channels are for:
- People who tote around their cameras offering “on-the-scene” coverage of local news and events
- Students producing their own weekly newscasts
- Active community members who conduct interviews with local leaders
- Engaged citizens who love providing commentary and analysis on important issues affecting the world at large
- Professional journalists using YouTube as an additional outlet for their work
Is this truly a revolution in democracy? Is it Youtube further monetizing it’s future? I think it has to be satisfy both cultural and economic orders in order to function within the metanarrative netizens use.